SPR-Pages

pagelogo
back
Blocking step - SPRpages
back
This forum is intended for questions about kinetics, Surface Plasmon Resonance and the instruments related to these techniques.

Blocking step

• Zhumabekova
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
2 years 6 months ago #1 by Zhumabekova
Blocking step was created by Zhumabekova
Dear All,
good day! Hope you're doing well. I want to clarify one thing in blocking step. If there is anyone who worked on the CM5 chip and was blocked by biotin. Biotin is available in powder form and is recommended to be solubilized in ammonium hydroxide. How did you use biotin? Are you diluting in running buffer or injecting a solubilized solution? Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Arnoud
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
2 years 6 months ago #2 by Arnoud
Replied by Arnoud on topic Blocking step
Hi,

Do you mean the blocking step during immobilization? And if so why do you use biotin?
Can you give some more context?

Arnoud

• Zhumabekova
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #3 by Zhumabekova
Replied by Zhumabekova on topic Blocking step
Dear Arnoud,
hello. Thank you for your reply. I need the blocking step to avoid non-specific binding. I'm using biotin, to make streptavidin biotin interaction. Yes, I mean the blocking step during immobilization (After how I immobilize biotinylated aptamer, before the protein injection). Free streptavidin needs to be blocked, right? Thank you.

Zhazira
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Zhumabekova.

• Arnoud
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
2 years 6 months ago #4 by Arnoud
Replied by Arnoud on topic Blocking step
Dear Zhazira,
You can make a 50 mg/mL biotin solution in 2M ammonium hydroxide. Then dilute to 25 µg/mL in flow buffer (you may adjust the pH to around 7.4 if necessary) and inject to block free streptavidin sites.
If there is no non-specific binding by your protein you don't need to block the streptavidin. But the only way to know is to test.

Kind regards
Arnoud

Moderators: ArnoudArnoud